Wednesday 26 January 2011

Some People Are Total Bankers

Last month a I met a fellow who really was a total banker. I went visiting various places around Hull City centre to see if there was any interest in BforB. Now the Hull business community is always unfailingly polite and the vast majority of the visits I made drew a courteous response but no interest. Fair enough.

The banker in question was an exception. I was asked to come back another day and when i came he gave me a nice cuppa and told me straight away that he would not, for contractual reasons be able to participate in a BforB meeting.

He then told me that he had given some thought to BforB and suggested that start-ups might be good place to network. He then told me that his bank had close associations with City Works.  Now City Works offers support guidance and training to people in Hull. It is concerned with employment, ensuring that Jobs are available to Hull folk and supports new businesses.

He offered to phone the two guys that run it and promised to get back to me when he had done so. He did just that and as a result I met Nick and Phil. Now Nick and Phil are two really nice people who gave me free coffee cup after a friendly chat. Nick may come to a BforB meeting soon.

All this stemmed from meeting an employee who was on the ball about local business and employment needs, has strong links to the business and public sector and put a great deal of thought into how my work could offer benefit to, and benefit from, his connections.

Like I said, total banker. To meet like mined business colleagues, check the BforB website for Business networking now

No comments:

Post a Comment