Friday 11 February 2011

Hull Chamber of Commerce Dinner

Round off the week with a quick account of last night's Hull and Humberside Chamber of Commerce dinner last night. The keynote speaker was Michael Crick who gave a witty and passionate account of the state of British Politics.

I took as my guest Russell McGrath who runs Tandem Marketing in Bradford. Russ had previously invited me to the Bradford Chamber Dinner in November, having been an invaluable source of business advice as well as top class provider of mailing and telemarketing services.

A pity in some respects that the dinner was held on a Thursday, I still had to get up this morning and write my blog send my tweets and meet two BforB members later today to discuss aspects of social networking.

By the end of the evening Russ had met two new colleagues and I managed to talk face to face with somebody with whom I had only had dealings by e-mail. Events such as these are, quite rightly, a celebration of the work of a body that has been around for nearly two centuries. But from a small business owner's perspective the money spent on a dinner was a marketing investment. Putting faces to names, exchanging views on a range of topics and enabling a friend and colleague to boost his connections was worth more than a tweet,  Yellow Pages ad or a mail shot.

Any form of networking is the best value marketing strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment